Sunday, December 15, 2013

The prologue

I've always been into video games. Started on the Atari. Then the Nintendo and Super Nintendo. For a while, my parents got rid of all my video games. Felt that they were a bad influence. After I hit 18, we got back in on the Nintendo 64. I then started buying my own consoles and became a full fledged gamer.

My first MMO was Everquest. A friend got me into it. And while I enjoyed playing it, I eventually had to quit. I then got into MUDs. I started a blog at that time, mapping out some of the areas I explored and posting them for my fellow players.

In 2005, one of my coworkers suggested we play an MMO together. World of Warcraft. I was reluctant, thinking it was mainly strategy like the previous Warcraft games. I was pleasently surprised. I soon joined a guild called Unseen University, and began my addiction. I leveled several characters to the cap several times. Demana the Human Warlock. Blckmage the Gnome Mage. Tsunade the Night Elf Rogue.

Each time an expansion came out, I got it on the first day and began my exploration. And lots of fun was had. I found my most favorite experiences were the discussions we had as a guild. We quested together. I was the first among our guild to get a Netherdrake. The first to get the motorbike.

But, all good times come to an end. After graduating from college, I had trouble finding work. Most of this was becaue I had to stay home and help my dad take care of my dieing grandma. And thus, I was unable to support my Warcraft account anymore. And had to stop.

Five years have passed since then. I've played several free mmos, but none of them have really gotten my attention. And then I started reading about Final Fantasy XIV. And found out one of my friends from Warcraft was playing. Chatting with him, I decided to play again. So, on December 6th, I went out and bought my copy. And thus the journey began.

No comments:

Post a Comment